The Society proudly owns and maintains four properties in the area, all rich with memories and saturated with history.

 

Our Mission

The Waynesboro Historical Society strives to preserve the historical resources of our town, educate the public on local history, and provide resources for historical research.

 

THE OLLER HOUSE

In 1892, as the small town of Waynesboro enjoyed an industrial boom, Joseph J. and Myrtle (Funk) Oller built a house on Main Street. Here, in the large Queen Anne style home, the Ollers raised three children.

HARBAUGH CHURCH

 Harbaugh Church was built in 1892 in honor of Dr. Henry Harbaugh (1817-1867) a noted theologian who grew up on a farmstead near the Maryland State line south of Rouzerville. The church was largely funded through a bequest from a brother of Dr. Henry Harbaugh.

ZULLINGER SCHOOL

 Zullinger School was erected and opened in 1911 to replace an old one room school. The school is a 2 story, four room building located on Route #16 three miles west of Waynesboro in Zullinger. Originally grades 1 through 8 were held in the school with each of the four teachers instructing two grades.

WELTY'S BRIDGE

 Welty's Mill Bridge is a Scottish style bridge built by D.S. Stoner over the Antietam Creek. Around 1798 Mr. Welty opened a mill and distillery manufacturing a brand of rye and malt whiskey famed for over a century.